Friday, July 06, 2007

128 bits of fabric, 37 to go

I've got a new patchwork project on the go. I am in the process of cutting up 165 pieces of fabric. Here are 128 of them.



My friend Now came to visit this week and helped me work out how many pieces I needed for this wedding present for friends. He measured out the whole thing then counted the pieces I had already cut. This is all part of my Senegalese patchwork co-operative which I am running, which involves Omar finding me the fabric, me designing and cutting, Now counting and measuring and then one of Omar's guys in the sweatshop sewing the whole thing together. I worked out that this way I have more time for striped iPod covers and purses if I leave the boring jobs to someone else. This is the first step towards Omar and I going into the patchwork business together.

This is what I brought home from Abidjan. The first two have tiny gold dots painted on them, and are designed and made in Abidjan, so says my Ivorian cloth source.







It's incredibly hot here and I have taken to having a 4 hour break in the middle of the day in which I eat and sleep and sometimes go for a swim. The hard bit is coming back to work afterwards, especially when the rest of the country stops work at Friday lunch time and never comes back to work. If I went to the mosque like everyone else, I wouldn't feel so guilty about taking the afternoon off.

No comments:

Post a Comment