Monday, July 21, 2008

It's always disappointing when the writer of a blog you really like moves. People who become enlivened when describing the mundanities of getting on the bus in Equatorial Guinea become positively bored by the experience when returning to Surrey. I am on my way to London and unless the police have started directing traffic with Kalashnikovs, I imagine I will have little to say about it. Much about west Africa irritates me, but the worse fate of all is to be rendered apathetic by a place.

In other news, I have spent a lovely final week in Senegal, including a night on a house on stilts above a clear lagoon where the turning of the tide at midnight sounded beneath me like an incoming tidal wave. Croaking birds kept me awake beyond that, but the moon was full enough to read by. In the morning, four bedraggled young fisherman approached us on the beach.

"We are looking for our friend. Our boat turned over last night and he has disappeared. If you find him, please ring this number."

I wrote the number in the sand with my finger.

"Those men are pig-headed," said one of the men at the guesthouse to whom I reported the incident, lest they should find a dead body washed up on the shore. "They don't listen to the weather report and then they go out in their fishing boats at night."

On returning to land and our car, we saw another boat rocking slightly on its side in the lagoon. A coloured wooden canoe, a long prow, like a child's toy boat.

"This boat came up from Casamance full of illegal immigrants trying to get to Spain," said our boat driver as we sped past. "The boat ran into difficulties and came in here. The police jumped on it and arrested 25 people. The rest ran away."

The price for getting to Spain on a canoe has gone down. It used to cost almost £1000, but in 2006 went down to £450. Now it is possible to buy a passage for £350. It must be the only thing in Senegal which has gone down in price. A loaf of bread has gone up by a third since I last bought one.

*****

An over-heard snippet of conversation from the news room, recounted to me by a friend.

Journalist on the desk rings on-the-ground reporter over reports that 27 people have died of carbon monoxide poisoning from a leaking generator in a church in Nigeria.

"Look, the police say they found a generator leaking carbon monoxide. They were not killed by evil spirits."

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:55 AM

    With a heavy heart I can report that the police here (London) do not yet have their hands on any Kalashnikovs. Perhaps we could ask teenagers with kitchen knives to man busy crossroads, although a collision at 11mph is unlikely to do any real damage.

    I left West Africa in 2004 and returned to London. Since finding you blog (and music pieces) a few years ago I have stopped by from time to time to vicariously enjoy life in Senegal and your wonderful writing.

    I do hope you don't become apathetic towards London. Be prepared for a long and slow mental journey of acclimatisation. Avoid Oxford Street.

    On a lighter note, I just wanted to say Thank You for your writing, and to wish you all the best for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steve,

    It's great to know people read my blog, sometimes I'm not so sure who I'm talking to, if anyone. There's lots of good things about England: cycling, Hoola Hoops, cheddar, bees, electricity, direct debit. But it's hard, and I guess you're right, acclimatisation is going to take some time.

    But all things must change. Thanks very much for your words of support. I think I'll be back in west Africa before long, so I may keep writing.

    R

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your site recently and enjoy it as I do Pauline's (West Africa Wins Always). Gotta do what you gotta do but I will miss this. Good luck to you. I hope to return to West Africa sometime too. Tom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will miss it too, but it is worth it to have you home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Tom, I'm glad you have Pauline to keep you company while I'm out of action, she will keep you going with taxi driver conversations etc, which always make life in WA so funny.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who knows one day you will be able to write about Omar from his U.K. tailor shop. I'm moved by your post about Omar and sad to see you go. Do consider writing about your life in London because there are readers out there who like to vicariously enjoy life in Europe. Hugs, P.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:05 AM

    Rose, there is plenty of weird stuff going on in London and you'll notice it as a 'newcomer'. Plus you can write about your adaptation. For example, learning to walk on pavements and not bribe officials. Don't stop writing unless you're putting your writing brain to work elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:41 PM

    I shall miss your blog so please keep writing. I am sure that you will find enough amusing and interesting things to write about in London.
    Lucia

    ReplyDelete