Saturday, April 26, 2008



Omar has a new tooth. For a long time it's bothered him that one of the teeth on the bottom row sticks out at a funny angle. Last week he was smiling more than usual, and I eventually asked him what was up.

"I have a new tooth, look!" he said, shining his teeth at me, his mouth wide and smiling.

I asked him whose tooth it was. He looked forlorn.

"Does it belong to someone, then?" he asked.

"I imagine so. Did you ask the dentist?"

Omar said no, looked crestfallen, then slightly repulsed. We moved onto another subject. Later on he told me that his wife had not noticed his new tooth and he was waiting for the right moment to smile at her as he had me. He had been worried the wonky tooth put her off him.

1 comment:

  1. hold on --he's got an additional tooth? what happened to the old one? is his denture less irregular now? i'm intrigued. i liked his funny tooth!

    ReplyDelete