Sunday, November 25, 2007

Ghana notes

Tuesday

Workmen in tiny Kumasi airport stood on bending planks suspended over high scaffolding frames and sanded the new wooden ceiling. Like parquet flooring, the ceiling shone in herring bone patterns, whereas the floor was tiled in bare ordinary squares. The ceiling at the spotless Precise Lodge was built from the same, proud, wooden slats. I thought about the moulding concrete-and-plaster ceilings of the average hotel in Senegal, and wondered, why.

*****

A two-part article in the daily newspaper expounded on the subject of heartbreak. I left the paper in the seat pocket of the 30-seater plane, and wished I hadn’t.

“Women, I hear,” professed the male journalist, “have more people to talk to about their heartbreak; hair-dressers, taxi drivers, and Aunties.”

It reminds me of the old taxi-driver who gave me a lift in Dakar, a year and a half ago. For some reason, I had told him a secret that had been on my mind for months.

So much more than a taxi service, my friend had said when I told her to whom I had spilled my heart.

*****

Kumasi market is the largest open-air market in west Africa. It is vast, a city of tin roofs with suburbs of yam-sellers within; roads of meat-vendors give way to underwear neighbourhoods; bulk toothpaste streets hustling against the tailors sewing strips of kingly kente cloth.

The yam sellers, all women, were the most gregarious. They pummelled my skin, their ugly bulbous yams sitting by dusty and grey, blobs of pink and green paint to identify their size and price. Piles of dried fish balanced in headstands on tin platters, while their young girl vendors sat behind and called out their worth. A teenage girl with dark blue tattoos on her forehead bustled for a photo, but refused to stay still long enough for me to take it. Again and again, they asked me if Aubrey was my husband or my brother, and when I said, friend, they all laughed and eyed me disbelievingly, like I was telling them a dirty joke.

In one row, a girl sold patchwork cloth, strips of tattered faded fabric in large, thoughtless blocks. She asked me if I wanted to buy it, and I pointed to my own patchwork skirt and told her I could make my own.

“Yes yes, this is fine-fine,” a lady laughed approvingly, crouching on a stool nearby and grabbing at my skirt.

When I told them I lived in Senegal they all laughed again and asked the little girl with the elephantine belly button if she wanted to go home with Auntie Rose to Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment