Tuesday, September 04, 2007

I feel as foreign now in the neighbourhood I grew up in than I do in downtown Dakar. Yesterday I went shopping on the Northcote Road, felt sheepish as I bought just a hundred grams of expensive cheese while the mothers beside me bought huge chunks and roasted garlic cloves in oil as well. Felt pushed out of a cafe when young boys in mullets soon to go back to school jostled for the free polos at the counter and nagged at their older, tired-looking mothers. Young teenage girls with messy hair-dos who do lunch; don't get me started on the push chairs.

Where do these people come from, and where are the people like me?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:02 AM

    they are at work you wally -it's monday.

    alternatively, they are hanging out in some far flung west african capital waiting to hang out with you- gosh i'm fed up with; where's rose?, she not back yet?, when she coming back? they might even be swimming to goree this weekend without you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:07 PM

    Oh sweet Rosorama, we are right here, hiding in the shadows ready jump any more lattemafia with messy hair and pushchairs...they have now taken over also Stockholm..lets plot against them soon!

    X B

    ReplyDelete