Monday, July 16, 2007

Four go on an adventure

Some of you may remember how, back when I was 5, I wanted to be a traffic warden. Later on, when I discovered swimming, I decided that my career of choice was synchronized swimming. Here is what happened this weekend.

Mona, Naomi, Julia and I went, in dubious weather conditions, to an island off the coast of Dakar for a relaxing picnic. Mona and Julia, graceful ladies that they are, were having fun practising their synchronized swimming moves while Naomi and I watched from the shore.



I never like to be left out of anything so here I am asking if I can come and play too.



See how graceful we all are? Except, oh, I seem to be the only one holding my nose, as if I'm the only one who expects to go entirely under the water.



My body didn't stay up like the others





And then I laughed so much under the water that I nearly drowned.



Come on, let's do it again.



They agree, and I get to show them that I can be dainty too.



Now it's time for the picnic. Oh. it's just a little breeze.



What the girls didn't know when we set off on this trip is that after I decided as a kid that synchronized swimming wasn't for me, I took up geology instead. Imagine my great delight, and theirs, when I discovered that the island we were on was formed of hexagonal-shaped basaltic columns formed when lava bubbled up and flowed into the sea.



Here is Julia getting into the spirit of the geology lesson and being really interested in all I have to say.






But we did have such a lovely day. Unfortunately, in my excitement to show off my new haircut I whipped my cap off on the boat and my Ray Bans flew into the sea. Goodbye lovely glasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment