Sunday, March 04, 2007

Shop improvements

One of the only things that went wrong during the move was that I lost my camera cable. So none of you will be able to see the beautiful view through the French doors until I find the damn thing.

A while before I left Mamelles, Now made improvements to his shop.



He extended it backwards for more shelf space, opened up the side with a large window, and created a lovely little garden. We found planks of wood and balanced them on rocks to make a bench, and planted some plants to keep the frangipani tree happy. Not only does he now sell things like cake and local milk, but it has also created a lovely space in the street for people to come and relax in, lying on the mat under the shade of the trellis, or sitting on the benches and making tea. Everyone agrees that it's the nicest shop in Dakar.



The bread is still delivered in the same way though.



I miss Mammelle and Now but life changes and this life is good too.

In other news, it's my birthday tomorrow and I will be 28. When I was 27, 28 seemed so old! I seem to remember I was getting unnecessarily concerned by my lack of partner, but I was confusing that with something much more important: friends. Now that I have a lot more wonderful, reliable, funny friends here, I feel as happy as a bee.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:26 AM

    Dear Rose, Happy Birthday! Glad your move was accomplished successfully and I hope you will be happy in your new home and will find your camera cable! I got back from my first trip to Africa 10 days ago - safari in Tanzania- and was blown away by the lovely people, of course, and the animals. I am endeavouring to publish my blog but having REAL PROBLEMS. I'll let you know when it's sorted. Much love, Robin E xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. it just keeps going on and on. 28 was great, but 29 was pretty good, and 30 has been damn fine. can't wait for 31 and all the rest . . .
    just keep surrounding yourself with friends and all is good.

    ReplyDelete